Was Ocon to Blame for Verstappen Accident?

My opinion is that Verstappen should have been more careful. To the letter of the law, Ocon was actually in the right, he had the inside line for the corner and both cars were pretty level heading into the right hander, ergo that should have been Ocon’s corner. Looking at the bigger picture, Ocon should have been aware that Verstappen was the race leader and should have taken more care, but why should he? He had much less to lose in that situation. I think really it was just a collision of circumstance. Verstappen felt he had right of way, so cut across the nose of Ocon. Ocon didn’t give way, then the collision occurred. For me, it’s a 50-50.

Do people remember Interlagos 2001? Montoya was leading the race and lapped Jos Verstappen, only for Jos to totally miss his braking point and ram Montoya the race leader out of the race. Family karma perhaps…

Ocons fault, as he was not able to stay ahead while going round the outside, but Verstappen had too little situational awareness there. He should have anticipated the looming contact, and should have backed out of it, brake, let him through, and then complain over Ocons move on the radio. Would also have (probably) resulted in a penalty for Ocon, but Verstappen would still have won, with ease.

Probably a "Mercedes affiliate team" move.. to let them win

Well if you want to be silly, let's say at least Mercedes had the common sense to get an 'affiliate' to do it.

Ferrari just got Seb's team mate to knock Hamilton out of the way at Silverstone.

Or maybe we could just stop being silly?

Do people remember Interlagos 2001? Montoya was leading the race and lapped Jos Verstappen, only for Jos to totally miss his braking point and ram Montoya the race leader out of the race. Family karma perhaps…
No need to look back at the prior generation, Max's pre-F1 career is more than enough.

It doesn't really matter who had the right for the corner. If Verstappen had gave Ocon space he would be celebrating the win today. That would have been much better than being able to say that he had the right to take the line.

The incident itself was in my opinion, Verstappen's fault. Forget whether Ocon was a lap behind or not, if you look at the footage Ocon was at least 3/4 alongside just before turn 2 (max must have known he was there). Ocon realised Max was actually turning in on him and pulled out thats why he caught the back wheel.

But I think we should look at turn 1, why the hell was he bothered with racing a Force India into turn 1? Ocon was catching him up after a pitstop on super softs and then had DRS. If this was anyone with a sensible head on him they just would have let him past at turn 1. If he then turned out to not be quick enough to pull away he would have got the blue flags and had to move out the way anyway.

My opinion a lapped driver, regardless of the name of the driver, should be careful when he either approaches leaders (say top three), or is capable of unlapping himself.
Is this situation i think Ocon should have left more room for Verstappen on the straight, even before going into the corner.
If the fight was about a position i say Max should have left more room.

Ocon is a idiot stay out of the way if the race leader passes you! Wtf!

we have every week the same discussion.. Not the discussion it self. But it is about Max. I am disappointed does not matter right or wrong Max has always the blame :sleep:

Real experts here or real trolls :roflmao:

• Deleted member 6919

There is a way to unlap yourself and physically racing the leader isn't the way to do it, but on the other hand Max still has alot to learn and to mature alot more, I don't want max to lose his edge but he just needs to look at the bigger picture, or he will become one of the 'so close but so far' and never win the title, he is becoming abit of a spoilt kid in a china shop...Personally can't wait to see what Leclerc can do in the Ferrari next year.

Racing incident. They both raced without thinking much. Ocon had the right to get by as he was in a (momentarily) faster car, etc. At the same time... it's kind of an unwritten rule not to screw around with somebody who is leading the race, etc.

Verstappen should have just let Ocon go but didn't. He had zero to gain in that situation and instead in trying to get back around it cost him the race.

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 300 34.7%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 243 28.1%
  • WEC app/website

Votes: 161 18.6%
  • Watch party

Votes: 67 7.7%
  • At a friends house

Votes: 23 2.7%