Will you be Buying an RTX 3080?

So 3080 Ti is now looking like mid-May release and the $999 price tag appears to be gaining traction.
$999, so real world what are we looing at? $1400 MSRP or whatever limb the scalpers are looking for that day?

It would be great if consumers could organise to not buy the cards. The cards will likely get snapped up by scalpers and miners. Not much can be done about the miners, at least they have a legitimate use for them. What would be funny is to see the scalpers buy up the cards and then not be able to find buyers for them.

I don't have a reason to upgrade yet, so I won't be in this feeding frenzy. Although I have noticed that DCS can be a pretty tough title at times...

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Considering chip shortage, 3080Ti based SKUs will be proritized if not 3080 abandoned altogether. Those still waiting for 3080 in the queues unlikely get them. So new queue, more wait.

$999, so real world what are we looing at? $1400 MSRP or whatever limb the scalpers are looking for that day?

It would be great if consumers could organise to not buy the cards. The cards will likely get snapped up by scalpers and miners. Not much can be done about the miners, at least they have a legitimate use for them. What would be funny is to see the scalpers buy up the cards and then not be able to find buyers for them.

This might be a shock to you, but real world price, the 3080 is already pretty much a $999 card.
The only model that's $700 is the FE, which I'm surprised Nvidia is still selling, exclusively through Best Buy.
It's a unicorn, and if you can get it, you're incredibly lucky (directly through BB).
Every other model is between $850 to $1050, straight from the vendor/MSRP.
MSI and Gigabyte have already "corrected" their price based on 'tariffs' to over $1000 on all their 3080 series cards.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/gigaby...ess-4-0-graphics-card/6430621.p?skuId=6430621

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/msi-nv...hic-card-black-silver/6430175.p?skuId=6430175

The only AIB that hasn't raised their prices yet is EVGA, and they're fulfilling their pre-order queue at a snail's pace, leading many to suspect that they're selling through back channels to other parties. They haven't restocked at Best Buy in a long time and their restocks tend to last the shortest.

The "street price", as in what they sell for through scalpers, is more like $2200 and climbing. Since 3090's are pulling an eye burning $3000, I'd expect the fictional 3080 Ti to fetch anywhere from $2500 to $2700.

If the MSRP is $999, that's bound to be Nvidia's FE edition, if it exists. If Nvidia doesn't release an FE, you can expect AIB partners to charge anywhere from $1300 to $1600, based on how much more than the FE 3080 they're charging.

Those of you thinking waiting is a good strategy, you might end up paying even more. No one expected things to actually get worse from how bad they were in December, yet here we are.

All those people who got backlash for paying $1000 for a 3080 late in 2020 are feeling like they should buy lottery tickets.

• Deleted member 197115

EVGA raised the price back in January due to new tarrifs with China. They still honor original price for people in the queue until April 16th.

Considering chip shortage, 3080Ti based SKUs will be proritized if not 3080 abandoned altogether. Those still waiting for 3080 in the queues unlikely get them. So new queue, more wait.
Holy sh!t I just received an email saying that my 3080 would in theory be available for pickup at my nearest store but due to the current lockdown, they would need to send it directly to me, without shipping costs.

Errrrrrr my brain got some errors when I got this mail, lol.

According to the mail I'll get a provisional invoice in the next 48h and if I send them the money, my card will be shipped within 3 days.

I checked the mail details and it's no spam, so now I'm sitting here, waiting for that invoice...
Will it be the 839€ of my order from September, 26th or will it be some current fantasy price tag?

How am I supposed to go to sleep now :roflmao: :geek:

Ofc this probably automated mail came in way after their opening times so I can't call them to ask how it will be...

Originally I ordered it with "pay and pickup at the local store", but it's still an online order by EU law.
The mail says I will now have to do a normal transaction payment to get the card shipped.
Could by fishy scam but doesn't seem like it is...

Will he some long 48h...
I told my friends a moment ago and 2 of them instantly asked "can I buy your 3070?".
So at least that "issue" would already be solved :roflmao:
Funnily enough it would be my only purchase ever where you get more "bang for the buck" when spending more.
3080 seems to be 30% better than 3070, while it would cost me only 23,5% more.

The other 6.5% will come later with the energy bill lol

Last edited:
Holy sh!t I just received an email saying that my 3080 would in theory be available for pickup at my nearest store but due to the current lockdown, they would need to send it directly to me, without shipping costs.

Errrrrrr my brain got some errors when I got this mail, lol.

According to the mail I'll get a provisional invoice in the next 48h and if I send them the money, my card will be shipped within 3 days.

I checked the mail details and it's no spam, so now I'm sitting here, waiting for that invoice...
Will it be the 839€ of my order from September, 26th or will it be some current fantasy price tag?

How am I supposed to go to sleep now :roflmao: :geek:

Ofc this probably automated mail came in way after their opening times so I can't call them to ask how it will be...

Originally I ordered it with "pay and pickup at the local store", but it's still an online order by EU law.
The mail says I will now have to do a normal transaction payment to get the card shipped.
Could by fishy scam but doesn't seem like it is...

Will he some long 48h...
I told my friends a moment ago and 2 of them instantly asked "can I buy your 3070?".
So at least that "issue" would already be solved :roflmao:
Funnily enough it would be my only purchase ever where you get more "bang for the buck" when spending more.
3080 seems to be 30% better than 3070, while it would cost me only 23,5% more.

The other 6.5% will come later with the energy bill lol

Hah! I "caved" or rather gave up some days ago, and have ordered a pre-built PC with 3070 (as in, I pick the parts from a PC config, the company builds it, installs windows, test that PC etc.). This was the only way to get any 3060/70/80 series cards in Norway without a lot of luck as all batches are sold out in less than a minute still. I have a case that I've had with me for years that I planned to use for a new build, but no. Pre-built it is. It was possible to get a 3080-card in a pre-built PC (the company are keeping a bit of the GPU's they get for their pre-built PC's), but I am not paying 950 EUR extra for a 3080 compared to 3070 (lol).

Now to the fun part. I get a 3 year "cover all" warranty on the whole PC as they build it. No need to deal with the different suppliers. The company handle it all. But the really fun thing? I think they screwed up their PC-config. If I buy the parts separate, don't include a case (as I have one) and not Windows (which I would need to buy), then that is approx 200EUR more. So I save 200EUR, get Windows 10 Pro, and "extra" case, easier and in some cases extended warranty...
I couldn't say no to that. The fact that the PC now comes pre-built with all needed, means that I can also sell off my current PC, which I didn't plan to do as I were supposed to take some parts of this.
Actually, I could even order new parts for the build I planned to do, put the 3070 in there, take one of the two cards from my current PC, then sell off two working PC's with GPU's while also having a new PC myself.

So, it wasn't the planned 3080 right now, but I am happy regardless! Now I just have to wait for the PC to be built and shipped :p

Last edited:
EVGA raised the price back in January due to new tarrifs with China. They still honor original price for people in the queue until April 16th.
Same here in Australia, Asus have upped their prices twice this year however my supplier honored my original ordered price of $1699 now they are $2139 for a ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 ROG Strix Gaming OC 10GB GDDR6X

EVGA just posted an update, they will honor original prices for people on the queue until May 14th, 2021
That's awesome for the 6 people who will be able to buy one from them before that date.

To any new 3080 owners, make sure you read up on thermal pads. My 3080 was thermal throttling in games because the stock thermal pads were garbage. Now my memory junction rarely hits 85C after replacing the pads with Thermal Grizzly.
Note, even if you get the same brand 3070, you should still check. 3080's run much hotter memory than 3070's. GDDR6X runs at really high temperatures.

My Gaming X Trio 3070 ran way way cooler than my Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080.

Just got the mail.. Did the transaction.. Now it's time to wait for a few days until the money arrives and they complete the order.

Wow.. I can't really believe it yet haha. I expected them to cancel my order at some point. Didn't look like they would get any cards at all anymore.
Honestly I had forgotten about my order by now...

Then this mail out of nowhere :geek:

And they honored the original price tag of 839€.
Better bang for the buck than the 3070 for 679€ :D

Last edited:
Just got the mail.. Did the transaction.. Now it's time to wait for a few days until the money arrives and they complete the order.

Wow.. I can't really believe it yet haha. I expected them to cancel my order at some point. Didn't look like they would get any cards at all anymore.
Honestly I had forgotten about my order by now...

Then this mail out of nowhere :geek:

And they honored the original price tag of 839€.
Better bang for the buck than the 3070 for 679€ :D

Congratulations!

You probably should have purchased a lottery ticket at the same time ;)

Congratulations!

You probably should have purchased a lottery ticket at the same time ;)

Probably not. Don't you think he's used up his luck for a while now? :whistling:
Ineed Ole, indeed...
I earnt the orders of the 3080 and 3070 (and a 2x fan msi 3060ti btw) by refreshing all the German store pages for weeks.
But actually receiving the cards is definitely a dose of luck lol!
The 3080 and 3070 weren't available, but I could place a pre-order in a brief moment of the site letting me through. (Notebooksbilliger.de)
The 3060ti was 2 days after release at Alternate.de and was listed as fully available.

Then I got a mail that the 3070 would be ready for pickup a week after I got the 3060ti so I tested the fans and simracing performance and in the end gave the 3060ti to a friend in need of a new GPU for the price I paid and kept the 3070. 3060ti was better bang for the buck (505€) but the msi ventus 2x fans where too loud for my taste.

The 3070 for 679€ felt quite a bit pricey and didn't seem like a good deal in November but boy was I wrong. Golden GPU there, looking at it now :roflmao: :roflmao:
And now the 3080 becoming available...
I'm a bit afraid of Pianos falling from the sky like in the older Cartoons :whistling::barefoot:

But I'm hopefully earning enough karma points to balance it out by giving the 3070 for the price I paid to a good friend :)

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 26 13.2%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Thursday

Votes: 27 13.7%
  • Friday

Votes: 69 35.0%
  • Saturday

Votes: 111 56.3%