WRC4 WRC 4 The Game

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
OverTake
Premium
On the iOpener website there is a very interesting article about an upcoming World Rally Championship simulator:

World Rally Championship's next game: Racing live against rally heroes

The next generation WRC computer game will allow players to 'compete' in live rallies", states ISC chairman Neil Duncanson in the April version of SportBusiness International magazine. ISC, the global promoter of the World Rally Championship (WRC), mentions WRC's ultimate goal as building up an online gaming world championship alongside the real thing.
ISC and the computer gaming industry believe the next step in gaming is this 'live' competition between gamers and real drivers, made possible through iOpener's patented technology.
ISC CEO Simon Long says: "Now we are a global promoter, we want this to be multi-platform, multi-publisher, multi-territory."
For Long and Duncanson the new game is part of WRC's broader efforts to appeal new fans beyond the hardcore enthusiastics. FIA's chairman Max Mosley has said the virtual champion will be honoured at the WRC's annual end-of-season awards ceremony in Monaco.

Source: iOpener Media

Last April we already brought you the first news about iOpener Media's beta testers recruitment for their Real Time Racing project.

The news about this technology where virtual racers can compete against the real drivers on the track in real time is now spreading amoung the simracing communities.

iOpener is still looking for the worlds best simracers to join their beta test program that's about to start soon. If you are interested in joining then you can sign up on the RTR website

Attachments

• sportbusinessinternational.jpg
    sportbusinessinternational.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 637
RBR, of course, is much more serious, than WRC. But WRC give more fun of driving this game, you do not need to restart a whole stage after a slightest mistake, and give more "sense of speed" :) in WRC drive from "in car" view is fun, in RBR it is headache for me...

The question is nonsense. WRC 2010 is not a rally sim. But that doesn't mean it is crap: some games are created for small kids that are not used to drive and no way can enjoy playing RBR. Arcade is not bad, just targets to different people.

The question is nonsense. WRC 2010 is not a rally sim. But that doesn't mean it is crap: some games are created for small kids that are not used to drive and no way can enjoy playing RBR. Arcade is not bad, just targets to different people.

This is true, I think they are suitable for very different styles of gaming.
What a pity that these new games don't make that clear with some honest marketing though. The pre-release marketing and hype for WRC2010 is / was a nonsense and almost dishonest. :rolleyes:

This is true, I think they are suitable for very different styles of gaming.
What a pity that these new games don't make that clear with some honest marketing though. The pre-release marketing and hype for WRC2010 is / was a nonsense and almost dishonest. :rolleyes:

At least they released a demo. Everybody can test the product before buying.
That's a point in her favor

On the Xbox, not really, especially when compared to F1 2010. The main issues I've found are down to the (lack of) quality of the graphics. Can't comment on the PC version, although wheel support sounds like it's a problem.
The graphics in WRC are amongst the ugliest I've seen on the 360. The physics are okay, a bit like Colin McRae 2.0 for the original Xbox and PS2 :)

To my eyes, it looks like Milestone took the backgrounds found in SBK 08 and stuck them into WRC. The trees and backgrounds have the same strange halo'd effect to their edges that is seen in the early Superbike game. Combined with lots of blur, the game is a dogs breakfast to look at & the sound isn't much better.

I've talked with Alan at VVV Automotive and he said that Milestone have taken all the criticisms on board and promised a revamped game for 2011. With Dirt 3 looking and sounding very good, they'll need to step up big time to compete with the CM juggernaut.

The only saving grace is I bought the game cheap and the career mode is quite long.

Cheers.

Everyone says it's ugly, but tbh I liked the graphics of the demo better than Dirt, even if there was no correct aspect ratio setting for my monitor, the colors are just way better! However I became discouraged about buying it because of it's ultra bad wheel support. (demo didn't support it at all) And with keyboard it is not fun at all. If it would work in 1280*1024 and would support my Logitech Formula Force EX wheel, then maybe I would buy it.

What would you expect them to say TJP? "No sir, we plan on releasing even uglier graphics next year? :)"
8) Not quite Bram.

Getting slammed in nearly every review has made Milestone rethink their efforts with their WRC game and I doubt sales were that great. I do know the game wasn't released in north America for the consoles.

Given how excited gamers are for Dirt 3, WRC 2011 will have to be one of Milestone's finest efforts to compete - not just in graphics but in sound design too.

nice video

lol i actually quite like this game, yes it looks ugly but it reminds me of the old PS2 WRC games somewhat..
Im half way thru the career and are now being scouted by a WRC team, the careers good although a little long..

ive had the game since its release and play it quite often. i think its a good game, the update made it better. i use my g25 with it no probs and it works ok with a controller (xbox 360). I know it also works with other wheels, it takes a while to get use the slideing round the corners. it has its good points and on the downside theres the co driver ( make way, champion comming through) as if!!!!!!.

Publisher Black Bean Games announced that WRC 2 is set for release in October 2011. The sequel to the popular WRC title is currently being developed by Milestone and will be published exclusively for PlayStation 3, Xbox360 and PC.

WRC 2 will feature all rallies of the 2011 World Rally Championship calendar with all the leading WRC teams and drivers. The game will feature more content than its predecessor with 90 stages, 15 different locations, 25 different terrain and weather conditions and 9 car categories. Cars will range from the 1960s to the WRC models of the current 2011 championship.

Added are also new game modes such as a 16-player online mode, a completely revamped career mode and many other improvements from last year in terms of contents, gameplay features and visual effects.

Latest News

How often do you meet up (IRL) with your simracing friends?

• Weekly

Votes: 49 9.1%
  • Monthly

Votes: 26 4.8%
  • Yearly

Votes: 32 5.9%
  • Weekly at lan events

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • Monthly at lan events

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Yearly at lan events

Votes: 13 2.4%