Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Kylotonn Racing Games have confirmed this September will see the release of the next officially licensed World Rally Championship video game - WRC 8.

Imaginatively titled as always, the eighth instalment to the steadily improving WRC franchise of games is set to launch on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and PC this September, and promises to be an all round improvement on previous iterations of the long running franchise.

New for WRC 8 will be a revised physics system across the many varied different racing surfaces within the game, plus the inclusion of what looks to be an already very impressive looking dynamic weather system, presumably adding a feature to allow the 100+ official WRC stages to be experienced in a variety of different weather conditions.

Of the new dynamic weather, Bigben and Kylotonn had the following to say during a brief press release to accompany the brand new announcement trailer:

"A new dynamic weather system has been developed to add random elements to the driving experience, but also to increase realism in the game. Managing the weather is a real challenge for the drivers: modified grip, car settings adjustments, tyre selection optimization, weather team relationship to ensure the best tips and information on the latest conditions. More than mere visual effects, climatic conditions become crucial, especially in the management of your career"

Of course with the title coming out toward the end of the year, the new WRC 8 release will replicate the 2019 FIA World Rally Championship season, including the latest cars and drivers from the official teams' of the category. Featuring over 50 drivers, including the returning multiple champion Sébastien Loeb in his new Hyundai, 14 different events across over 100 individual stages, WRC 8 certainly lacks nothing in terms of scale.

Most importantly of all for sim racers looking to get their rally kicks, Kylotonn have promised that "WRC 8 will go above and beyond WRC 7, especially in the steering requirements and the realistic physics of the vehicles" - one of the weaker points from previous releases.

As well as the class leading WRC cars, the new game is also set to feature a selection of vehicles from the WRC 2 and Junior WRC categories, alongside a number of historic cars. Team management is also set to play a role in the expanded career mode, with the player able to improve their car by way of upgrades and team developments, of which more details are expected to be revealed in the near future.

Exciting times for fans of sideways action.

WRC 8 releases for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and Steam/PC September 2019.

WRC 8 Release 2.jpg
WRC 8 Release.jpg

Check out the upcoming WRC 8 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news, discussions and conversation prior to the big game reveal this September!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Does it have proper triple screen support? And support for DD wheels?

Supports at least some DD wheels, like AccuForce, Fanatec Podiums and Leo Bodnar. Those are listed on the official page, not sure about OSW: https://www.wrcthegame.com/en/technical-support

GamerMuscle played it with a Fanatec DD, said it worked like a charm.

Triple screen support is similar as Dirt Rally 2.0, so stretched image. Not true support. HUD and menus center properly.

I had some small micro stutter on triples, even when Afterburner showed that I kept easily solid 60 fps (Vsync on, all settings maxed, 1080 Ti). I don't know if I had some background app causing it, latest drivers at least. VVV (the YouTube channel) played it on triples, and didn't complain

Edit: I heard from a friend that solution to triple screen stutters is using borderless window, Adaptive V-sync and the new "Low Latency Mode" on Ultra in Nvidia control panel.

Also be advised, Epic Games UI doesn't display your played time anywhere (doesn't display much, in general), so you need to count that 2 hours yourself, in case you want a refund

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I found a problem in WRC 8 on x box one x and thrustmaster tx. currently I use a driving station on x box one x and thrustmaster tx with thrustmaster th8a gear shift lever and thrustmaster tss sparco handbrake yesterday I bought the much awaited wrc8 and today for the first time I tried it but when I went to set the controls of the steering wheel does not recognize the hand brake tss sparco in handbrake mode instead moving the lever down on sequential gearbox recognizes the tss sparco as sequential gear mode, very strange because on dirt rally, dirt rally 2.0, force 7, force Horizon and GT 5 recognizes both sequential gearbox and handbrake modes and everything works perfectly. Can any of you tell me something about the subject? Thanks to all in advance

I've just tried it and I've liked it very much. The content is amazing, the stages are incredibly beautiful and varied, the graphics are excellent and the performance is very very good (I can't believe I can run most of the options to the max and still keep 60 fps with my old graphic card). Do you know what graphic settings have more impact on performance? The sound and UI are also good. Although I have a OSW (Simucube) I have only tried it as a test with an analogue pad, so I can't still speak about force feedback and handling. Since I have set everything to maximum realism, the control with the gamepad is very difficult. The behaviour of the car seems OK and the sense of speed is great. I wish the collision model was better as well as the visual damage of the car. Also, I would like more dirt and dust on the stages. I really hope they implement the telemetry soon, because I cannot enjoy racing games without my shakers.

I've just tried it and I've liked it very much. The content is amazing, the stages are incredibly beautiful and varied, the graphics are excellent and the performance is very very good (I can't believe I can run most of the options to the max and still keep 60 fps with my old graphic card). Do you know what graphic settings have more impact on performance? The sound and UI are also good. Although I have a OSW (Simucube) I have only tried it as a test with an analogue pad, so I can't still speak about force feedback and handling. Since I have set everything to maximum realism, the control with the gamepad is very difficult. The behaviour of the car seems OK and the sense of speed is great. I wish the collision model was better as well as the visual damage of the car. Also, I would like more dirt and dust on the stages. I really hope they implement the telemetry soon, because I cannot enjoy racing games without my shakers.
SimXperience has stated that there won't be any telemetry support for the title (from the game developers).

OSW, HE Pro's, shifter, handbrake here. Was able to bind everything even though it took some mucking around. One this for me is I cannot change the FFB settings, they don't save on menu exit. Annoying as turning Simucube force down only does so much to make the FFB usable and not feel like I'm turning a bus.

It was the same for me...
But apply this trick: Go to controls ->settings : Change a single element of FFB.
Back to Key bindings.
Repeat each time for a single FFB element.

With my T300, I now have a pretty good FFB setting that needs fine tuning.
If someone has a good FFB configuration ...;)
My settings :
Max whelle angle : 540
Force effects : Overall force 116
SAT 108
Tyre Load 100
Self centre 100
Recentre force 100
Vibration : Overall vibration 116
Tyre slip 140
Suspension 113
Ground surface 115
Engine 91
Collision 87.

Not a joke. I have no interest in this if I cannot use every device in my rig. For a similar reason I unistalled Dirt Rally 2 and stick with Dirt Rally: no analog handbrake.

Roger that

Seems a shame but fair enough. I just was surprised as your post a couple previous to that stated you really liked it and how it looked, content was amazing, ran great etc etc. In fact, nothing but positive

But i see now you also stated something along these lines with your rig towards the end, so fair enough.

Last edited:
Roger that

Seems a shame but fair enough. I just was surprised as your post a couple previous to that stated you really liked it and how it looked, content was amazing, ran great etc etc. In fact, nothing but positive

But i see now you also stated something along these lines with your rig towards the end, so fair enough.

And I actualy like it very much, but I wouldn't be able to enjoy it if I have to play it with a gamepad as an arcade game. I know I'm very picky but I have spent many money and time in my rig and I only want games that can take advantage of it.

And I actualy like it very much, but I wouldn't be able to enjoy it if I have to play it with a gamepad as an arcade game. I know I'm very picky but I have spent many money and time in my rig and I only want games that can take advantage of it.

No, like i say mate, thats cool no need to try and explain yourself, like i say, i see now that in the same post you also did mention this so no biggie.

you do you bud, if you wont enjoy it, theres literally no point at all in doing it.

It feels pretty nice and pretty weird at the same time. From the factory it came with very weird default steering saturatiton setting, but once i figured it out, it actually feels decent. I can't say it drives realistic though, yes, i counter steer, but i cannot rely on car's pendulum momentum and use it in my advantage like I can in RBR or DR2.0, in fact long slides are quite problematic in wrc8, they either end up with weird unnatural straightening up, like i dunno... like the car is on a winch, and the winch pulled the car from somewhere; or they end up with uncontrollable snap. Stratos is the worst in this behaviour. I'm aware stratos must be a hell to drive, but looking at replays you notice something really bad with how it behaves. GamerMuscle was comparing its handling to Wreckfest, but in Wreckfest the handling, especially slides, feel very natural, and again you can use long slides in your advantage. Here, I often end up just driving slowly and more precise; no scandi flicks, no sideways jumps etc.

Also I think both current titles (this and DR2.0) are on too opposite ends of spectrum when it comes to wheel and camera vibration. DR2.0 vibrates like you are always driving on a washboard, and like the car doesn't have any suspension that absorbs it. Especially the cockpit camera vibration, too much high frequency jumping is going on. WRC8 on the opposite side, has no vibration of cockpit camera, and vibrations on the wheel are quite smooth and light as well. Needs to be something in the middle, IMO.

The stage design... They seem to carry some stages over the previous titles, like Finland, which is a total miss - in terms of atmosphere, foliage, colors etc. But other stages, like all the new stages, or Wales, are super nice.
The long Wales stage is so beautiful and so lively, it's a place you want to be at. In this regard, even Wales stages which are the better ones from DR/DR2.0 look and feel less real.

DR2.0 vibrates like you are always driving on a washboard, and like the car doesn't have any suspension that absorbs it.
The problem with DR2 camera is that even if you set the camera movement to maximum, it is still way too stiffly connected to the car and barely moves at all, which makes it very shake-y, especially in certain countries (Argentina, Australia) and with certain cars.

If you use the dash camera in WRC8, you get the exact same problem, because that one too is basically stuck to the car with little movement. Cockpit camera, on the other hand, has a fair amount of movement (but has other issues).

In this regard, even Wales stages which are the better ones from DR/DR2.0 look and feel less real.
Comments like these always feel so bizarre to me. I mean I kinda understand what you mean, DR2 does have a bit of a stylized/cartoony look at times I guess, but still ;)

If you use the dash camera in WRC8, you get the exact same problem, because that one too is basically stuck to the car with little movement. Cockpit camera, on the other hand, has a fair amount of movement (but has other issues).

In fact I'm using only dash camera in WRC8, for the reason you've already told (very weird FOV of car interior), still no shakes.
Comments like these always feel so bizarre to me. I mean I kinda understand what you mean, DR2 does have a bit of a stylized/cartoony look at times I guess, but still ;)

Hm, what I mean it's just from track designer prespective, what I see in DR a lot (and especially on a new stages) is everything is very procedural and repetitive, and while there are more variety of road cambers - it's really weird to see the roads with all those elevation changes and turns, being absolutelly flat and levelled in WRC - there's still that feeling thatt the track is this little stripe of a model with assets placed around it, rather than a real place. Obviously that's what it is in most of such games. But Kylothon track artists managed to make it feel like a real place better. More variety of terrain, more variety of foliage, more unique objects, or placed in unique and weird positions, rather just flat in the ground. Again, Wales stages in DR2 (as well as Monte carlo stages, well maybe Finland too) feel much better in that regard, but if you take Australia, or Poland... I dunno how to explain it, but there is a difference between the road going from the fields to the woods, if it's just a different assets placed around the road, or if it's actually thought out that there will be woods, you can sense it. Maybe you get what i mean.

Also DR team went for more procedural textures this time, and while DR1.0, or WRC track textures look like there's more diffuse to them rather than any other maps, DR2.0 surface often looks like something unrecognizable. Is it a dirt or is it oatmeal... Again, especially at Poland. Maybe the normal maps should be a bit tamed, because this gets real bad especially under the headlights. Now that all normal maps cast a shadow from its own relief it gets to this level when it can be super nice, or just unrecognizable relief.
Another thing that IMO could improve the DR track design is more multimapping of ground textures. When the 3d grass is lodded out due the distance, or in the replays, from heli view, all you see is a repetitive single texture of ground, no variations, no random colors etc. Yes it has shadows from objects and general lighting, but it's still just a bit too flat, adds to this "too procedural" atmosphere.

Having said that, still the overall quality of stages in DR is much better, I'm just moaning about design choices. That long Wales stage in WRC8 for example is fantastic - you start at the seashore and big cliffs, then you climb more to the land, there are some fields, then you're into the woods, then lakes... The way terrain changes, not only foliage, it adds to that feel that you're actually moving from place to place.
If you remember "Rally Championship Xtreme" - that one had arcadey physics, but I enjoyed the stages so much, in fact it's one of my favorite titles ever in terms of stage design. Again, Wales, or Isle of Man, every stage felt and looked so different as you progressed through it. And if your title has fantasy stages instead of real, it's such an opportunity to make it like that, add a sense of journey.
Another example of it is actually a replica of a real place - Semetin. It doesn't even have such drastic changes of terrain or foliage, but you clearly feel you're going through something that resembles a real place, rather than assets placed through the map.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 32 16.5%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 26 13.4%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Thursday

Votes: 27 13.9%
  • Friday

Votes: 69 35.6%
  • Saturday

Votes: 108 55.7%