RaceRoom Racing Experience Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sonoma Quickstart for those interested. Details of the lap during the 2nd half of the video.

Interesting breakdown. Most of it is what I do except for two spots: The uphill esses (T3 and T3A) and the downhill esses (8 and 8A) out of the hairpin coming off the drag strip.

I tend to do a minor trail brake going into 3 and then coast into 3A. This allows me to carry more speed over the crest and not have the urge to hit the throttle hard. I also use the curb on the inside of 3A to help rotate the rear of the car.

At 8 I will trail brake into it and then blip the throttle at the apex allowing me to coast into the apex at 8A. Again, I will use the curbs to rotate the rear of the car.

The 'V" on hairpins works great as long as the corner allows for it. At Mid-Ohio I found that if I tried it at the keyhole the camber would send me too far off-line and I would lose time.

Good video overall.

Let's say I won't be driving in this track so soon.
I lost count on the drive throughs I got. First one was for cutting the chicane by accident. My mistake, even if I seemed to loose time.
But then while trying to pit for the mandatory pit stop I kept getting the penalty even before entering the pits. So I would serve it and try next lap and get another one. Until I said screw it, and do the tire change and then come back for the drive through.

This is the line I was making. Simply stupid penalty:

Content updates:
  • Suzuka - Fixed a possible cut detection during pitstops

...if only they'd deployed that a week sooner!!

I gave the Audi a go at Mid-Ohio and it sounded better than I could drive it.:redface: I'm sure in the hands of a more capable driver could get it up to speed.:whistling:
I am changing to the Nissan #33 :ninja:

That racing with @Keith_G was some of the most fun I've had in weeks, then got to have some with @sc4dr until he blew a tire
@Absurd1ty , it was the most fun I have had in a while also!:D It's the reason I love racing with all of you because I appreciate that you enjoyed it even though I was all over the place. Sorry about cutting back and forth but it taking really inside lines was the only way I could keep you at bay. You and the Mustang certainly had it in the corners and I was being pretty cautious with the throttle since the turbo jump in that Z was a killer for me when coming over the humps! It finally got me with a bit over over exuberance in the last corner but great racing up to that point. I'm getting better so it is getting more fun but I still have a long way to go to get the brakes and throttle working the way I would like.
Thanks @David DeGreef for hosting and I'll take whatever you give us in terms of format. I guess a compromise would be 2x tire wear and an hour race, even @ko41 couldn't make the tires go that far:confused:!! Having great fun and really enjoying each week, even when things don't go exactly as planned. Glad I didn't take anyone out when my steering wheel decided to quit working on lap 28!

Here's a vid of my leaderboard hot lap in the Z. Was just having fun, and letting it hang out a little. It could definitely use some polish, and improve on time, but it's still pretty quick. I wouldn't recommend driving like this in the race, cause there be no tires left!

Here's a setup for the Z. It is great for qualifying, but you might want to stiffen the front a bit, and decrease neg. toe for the race. In any case it's a good baseline, and it's great over curbs.

Attachments

• sonoma_06-25-54_nissan_300zx_z32.svm
    7.3 KB · Views: 139
...Something else I was having problems with, was my brakes were locking up way too quickly. I would press the pedal about 25%, and I'd hear the tires screeching. At first I thought it was a brake balance problem, but when I tried adjusting it, I only effected trail braking. It was after trying the RSR that I realised that it was too difficult to modulate the brakes.
Then I looked at brake sensitivity. For me, I lowered the sensitivity from 50% to 35%, and that made a huge difference. I now have to push the pedal further (still on potentiometers pedals), but that gave me a heck of a lot more control over pedal modulation...
Interesting, make sure your pedals are calibrated too, I know I slam the brake alot and rarely hit lockups, but I'm also using a loadcell now as opposed to my old T3PA's

@David DeGreef so sorry for being off topic. Nah I can't make this event next week due to rotating work schedule...

But some guys were talking about doing the Nordschleife track in the last Tuesday race discussions.
I know you are rotating tracks with same cars and I love that! But for that specific track can we rotate cars instead for the month? That would be really kool! But hey, if you got a schedule planned already than that's all good as you run the show, we're just happy to have a place to race clean

I'm in with a Nissan 95.
I just did this track so I thought I could hit the ground running.
But I just dl'd R3E, it is kinda something else. Lots to figure out, I've been working on my rf2 cars for a while, everything here is in a different place!
OMG! I'll be at the back of the grid for sure.

Going against my better judgment, but I’m in with the #75 Zcar again. Not worried about finish position. This car is just waayyyy more fun than the rest!

@David DeGreef so sorry for being off topic. Nah I can't make this event next week due to rotating work schedule...

But some guys were talking about doing the Nordschleife track in the last Tuesday race discussions.
I know you are rotating tracks with same cars and I love that! But for that specific track can we rotate cars instead for the month? That would be really kool! But hey, if you got a schedule planned already than that's all good as you run the show, we're just happy to have a place to race clean

I have sent a notification regarding one offs that would be a members choice. You can also see it here

And a setup. Also for qualifying, so just stiffen front end a bit, and reduce neg. toe for race. Both of my setups have increased ride height, and softer more responsive dampers for curbs, and bumps.

Attachments

• sonoma-04-15_06-00-09_ford_mustang_imsa_gto.svm
    7.1 KB · Views: 52
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How are you going to watch 24 hours of Le Mans

• On national tv

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Eurosport app/website

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • WEC app/website