Should I be concerned sharing a secondary monitor on my GPU alongside my game?

So I recently attached a small 1080p overhead monitor that sits above an LG OLED running my games at 4k 120hz typically. I don't have a triple screen setup, just the OLED, but now I have introduced the 1080p monitor for Simhub Dashboard and general Windows usage above.

I have heard that it helps to have the secondary monitor draw from the on-board CPU graphics input instead to offload any draw from the GPU for the game. I do have a 3080, so likely I'm in perfectly good shape without concern.

Just wondering thoughts on this?

I have done multiple screens for many years and in my experience it mostly doesn't matter and has no impact on your game. There are circumstances however where using the same card does have an impact and its usually either programs using 3D hardware accelerated rendering or video decoding. For whatever reason games and video decoding really don't work well together and when a game loads video decode on the other screen will usually stop and stutter until the game frame rate improves and they clearly can impact each other. But other than a few circumstances the second screen does very little to impact on the primary screen performance and it isn't worth worrying about how its plugged in or dealing with Intel onboard graphics and its drivers. But I can't deny its probably better to have it coming off a second card as I do run into these issues.

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 299 36.1%
  • Porsche

Votes: 319 38.5%
  • BMW

Votes: 301 36.4%
  • McLaren

Votes: 198 23.9%
  • Toyota

Votes: 311 37.6%
  • Intel

Votes: 102 12.3%