The "What Are You Working On?" Thread

So which versions will be on this E31 pack? I really admire your work for like 2 years now and still going. Especially since E31 is such an awesome machine.

Has it been two years already? Time flies.

From the get go the plan was to do all versions so 850, 840, B12 5.0 and 5.7 as well as some specific E31s I know like a S62 conversion and some others.

Ive recently decided to finish and release them one by one though as a simultaneous development is tricky with the body kits, rims, trims, physics all very different between the models.

Glad you enjoy the E31, it was the first car in the world to use CAN bus and the last model BMW developed with no sensitivity to cost or planned obsolescence :)

Has it been two years already? Time flies.

From the get go the plan was to do all versions so 850, 840, B12 5.0 and 5.7 as well as some specific E31s I know like a S62 conversion and some others.

Ive recently decided to finish and release them one by one though as a simultaneous development is tricky with the body kits, rims, trims, physics all very different between the models.

Glad you enjoy the E31, it was the first car in the world to use CAN bus and the last model BMW developed with no sensitivity to cost or planned obsolescence :)
BMW-E31-M8-Coupe-S70-Tuning-2.jpg

:whistling:

View attachment 333874

Spent a couple hours last night/this morning knocking this up. Surprised no one else has done it for AC. It's set up with a nice metallic and chrome effect with Stereo's shader, so it requires CSP to look like this.

Anyone interested in a release? There's a few bits to fix up still, and some of the cross-panel alignment is off. If there's enough demand I'll tighten that stuff up, if not I'll just release it with the rough edges.

[EDIT] Does anyone know who made the Momo 962 #230? I can't find it here on RD and I'm borrowing the Goodyear tires from it. Want to get permission before I release it. They're not the same as @BDA 's tires.

I'd actually forgotten about this guy until I got a new like on the post - I've just uploaded it here on RD for anyone who wants it. Only the short tail livery as the long tail's shader isn't working right still. If I ever solve it I'll upload it as well.

Time for tyre textures, sort of regretting picking another car with different tyres front/rear, means double the modelling/texturing time, and half the available texture space per tyre :(
Cheating a bit here though, as its running full resolution uncompressed textures whilst i tweak them, will sadly lose some fidelity soon.

1578245595591.png

1578245645947.png

Looks like there has been some pretty bad under-inflation wear on the fronts :D As the IRL pics show (before they moved onto actually road legal tyres fairly recently)

1578245706457.png

Diffuse, alpha and normal :)

unknown.png

what do you use the alpha for ?
Alpha on the tyre shader controls specularity, so I usually add some scuffs and scratches that show up when the light shines on it, you can see it a bit here:
1578247891187.png

This is black alpha:
1578247973214.png

White alpha:
1578247992885.png

And custom alpha (look on the sidewall in the background, can see the scuffs more clearly):
1578247948918.png

also, first great 2020 surprise!
Tbf i started the model probably a few years ago, 2017 maybe? And in some places it shows, I've done a bit of fixing but its never going to be quite as nice as I'd like it, but its as good as it'll get beyond just restarting :roflmao:

Last edited:
New project, new Blender... finally going over to 2.80 series, I'd been avoiding it cause I knew I'd have to google every 2nd keypress and it would really slow down actually completing anything.
0wOmiNX.jpg

Unsurprisingly there are no blueprints or measurements or anything for a 1967 one-of-~three group 7 prototype. So I'm starting off with a bezier cage to get some photomatches happening. I do have better reference info for a McLaren M1B so I'm going off that where necessary (eg. the tire size, 6x15 and 7x15 funnily enough the same as the Lotus 25, and 2.31m wheelbase)

Last edited:
It's a funny story actually. The constructor used a Chaparral 2C toy car as inspiration on the body. There are a few aesthetic changes and more functional ones (exhaust exits rear, the spoiler is vertical) https://www.goodwood.com/grr/race/historic/2015/5/goodwood-greats-chinook-chevrolet-mk2/

7ikJMN1.jpg

Tracing out lines makes it look like it's quick progress. As far as plans for this project, it's gonna be mostly based on the modern resto but where I can detect a difference I'll go with as raced in '67-68.

Last edited:

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 275 37.0%
  • Porsche

Votes: 284 38.2%
  • BMW

Votes: 266 35.8%
  • McLaren

Votes: 174 23.4%
  • Toyota

Votes: 280 37.7%
  • Intel

Votes: 93 12.5%