Cars (WIP) 2017 Lexus RC-F GT3

Any news? Btw, there should be much more reference material available by now, as the car made it's american debut last week at the 24h of Daytona.

060.jpg

Here's Lexus photo from Super GT GT300 testing

Hey, I saw your thread in the assetto corsa forum and was sad to see that there was no development anymore.
Then I saw this thread and was very happy.
Please do not give up :)

• Deleted member 223075

Think is dead :(. No news since 7 months.

I just did and I've already stopped. It would have been awesome, too! Here's a WIP:

watch-150-supercars-in-a-traffic-jam-video-79502_1.jpg

Sadly although this project is 97% complete I will no longer be working on it. In fact, I'm just going to stop posting about it and will disappear as if I've been kidnapped.
no, seriously, you can't judge other for it as long as you did not really try it yourself.
A general issue seems to be the transition from whatever 3D modeller they use to get the car working ingame, so many stumble about scaling or normal issues and positioning (ACM is full of threads like that). Also I suspect many of these abandoned threads started of with ripped models maybe, and the guys either stopped because from that point on it required actual work, or they feared being outed about it.

no, seriously, you can't judge other for it as long as you did not really try it yourself.
A general issue seems to be the transition from whatever 3D modeller they use to get the car working ingame, so many stumble about scaling or normal issues and positioning (ACM is full of threads like that). Also I suspect many of these abandoned threads started of with ripped models maybe, and the guys either stopped because from that point on it required actual work, or they feared being outed about it.
I'm not judging, I was genuinely curious. And then had a little satirical fun. ;)
Your explanation goes some way to explaining it though. I'm sure the reasons are often many and complex. I do sometimes wish the modders in question would pop in to offer some kind of explanation though (some do, some don't) rather than vanishing in a puff of smoke and keeping followers hanging, also preventing anyone else from taking the project over to completion.

Modding is just like any other hobby except with modding you are trying to finish something. You can do things like karate, mountain biking, scale models, beer drinking or bowling just for fun without any goals and you never need to finish anything. There is no end product at the end. In modding you want to create something. Starting things is easy. Finishing things is difficult.

Like with all hobbies with time you lose interest. Maybe you get into a situation where it is less fun and more work and you just don't feel like doing it anymore. Or you continue "later". Maybe your real life schedule changes and you have less time and/or energy to keep learning complex software. Maybe you just found something else that is more fun. I don't really see anything mysterious about it. How many times did you start something and never finished it? Only difference with modding and other hobbies is that nobody notice when you stop a hobby. But when you stop modding you have people who want an explanation.

I think lots of modding is about problem solving. The documentation and the tools are never perfect and with some games they are downright appalling. To finish something you need to learn how specific game wants things and how its features work, what different parameters mean and what works, what is depreciated or disabled and the different ways to get a result. But even with good documentation and tools there are steps along the way where difficulty and complexity ramps up. I think these steps are:

- problem that just seems like it can not be solved. Maybe the car won't load into the game, some feature just doesn't work and you can not find any information about it. You keep trying and get more and more desperate and negative as you go. Eventually it feels like waste of time. It is not necessarily a problem that stops all work but it puts a big barrier on your willingness to keep going. In the end it is not fun anymore.

- when you figure out something you need to do and notice it is long hours of tedious work you may just lose interest. This could be things like splitting your mesh into different materials and uvmaps. Doing this first time is difficult because you don't really know how to do it. You really need to get through the process at least once from beginning to end so you know how it works and comes together. This can be a huge problem if you want to work so that you are 100% finished with one thing before moving to the next thing. Especially if you are not experienced you need to go back and forth constantly, sometimes doing some things multiple times to get it right.

- having to learn new software. If you want to make a car you need your 3d modeller and some kind of texture painting software. You need to learn how different dds files work and their settings. You have some smaller tools you may use for normal mapping, font creation. If you make a track from lidar you need to learn to use software that handles the point cloud data. Even inside the 3d program there are many different sections that are almost separate own programs. For physics you need to find some kind of suspension program and learn to use spreadsheet program.

If you are beginner at everything you need lots of time and will power to learn all of that from scratch. You need to learn how to search for textures (cc0!) and references. Good quality reference takes time to find. 400x320 blurry picture of a car going around a corner is not reference image. And everytime you need to find one image of something you need to have the persistence of mind to go to internet and find just that image and then get back to work instead of going to relax on racedepartment writing long posts or watching cat videos in youtube.

I don't think any car or track gets abandoned because the scaling is wrong or pivots are wrong. Any person who has that low level of modding pain tolerance never had the passion to keep working on it. It is the smaller and bigger things that from outside are almost invisible.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.