Mobile Driving/Flying Cockpit with Motion and Tactile ( Build )

YouTube recommended that new video to me last night, and I gave it a watch. Everything is coming together great…lots of really cool and thoughtful details like the QR’s and pedal swapping. Very impressive, as always. Congrats!

Im trying to talk myself out of a Pimax 8K X at the moment. Being able to trade it in for a full credit towards the 12 X is enticing. I can’t deal with the FOV of the G2 or Index 1, I’ve sent multiple units of each back after giving them continued testing. 4000 series card will also be tempting, but with a 3090, I’ve gotta try to make this last another generating…but we will see how that works out.

Last edited:
Good luck, fingers crossed and many hours of preying is what you should do if you get a 8k and then hope they give you a 12x later. I wont say to you i told you so later, there will be many others doing that instead.

Anyhow, there are many reasons to talk yourself out of it :)

Last edited:
I've found that there are things that I talk myself out of fast and never give another thought and then there are the things that I keep coming back to. When that happens I tend to give in early because I know it is just a matter of time and I may as well save myself from unnecessary gyrations. My ProSim H pattern shifter is a great example. I went back and forth on that for a little while and realized that I will end up ordering it at some point when a moment of weakness arrives, and they had them in stock, so I figured I'll just enjoy it longer if I get it sooner :)

For serious hardware, like my SC2 Pro and ProSim H pattern shifter and Precision Sim Engineering wheel I had no problem buying them since they are durable and longer term purchases. With Computer equipment that has a half life of two years, I switch up my rules because waiting is almost always better. I was itchy to upgrade when I had my Rift. I'm not itchy with the Index. For me it's just good enough that I'm just waiting for the next big jump. I don't feel like I'm suffering because of it. Also I got my 2080Ti so I could run my Index better and it is a good match for that headset, so I didn't see a point in buying into the 30 series, but I will be all over the 40 series and a major headset update whenever that day comes.

Everyone has different ideas about how to do this. I do what works for me and make no suggestions for anyone else to follow my lead. Money is a very personal matter always.

Wow, this sound chat is high level and way beyond my grasp. In fact I receive an X3 tomorrow and will be connecting it to an NX3000d to power two transducers, and to demonstrate just how out of my depth I am, I have a question:

What type of connectors/cable do I use to connect the X3 to the NX3000D please?

I am thinking I need two of the following; 1/8” (3.5mm) TRS to 3-pin balanced XLR.

What has me confused or unsure is whether or not the X3 output requires a stereo (TRS) connector or a mono (TS) 1/4“ jack. After all, transducers are all mono, right? And a 5.1/7.1 device, such as a PC sound card or similar (X3), outputs mono signals to each speaker. So do I need to think mono and TS jacks or is the standard just to use TRS stereo connectors even when devices only send and recieve mono signals?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
All audio card analog outputs that I have seen are 1/8" stereo.

1 x 1/8 stereo --》 2 x mono XLR

An example of something that will work.

Thanks for the reply. I meant to say 1/8” and as a guitarist you’d think I get that right, lol.

Okay, so I’m glad I asked. So a stereo jack comes out of just one of four outputs on the X3 which carries the signal to two mono XLRs. Makes sense and would be required if someone wanted to take advantage of the X3’s maximum 8 feeds given there are only four outputs.

Your rig is nuts, man.
It's nuts just like it's owner!

I finally started putting the new Exciter profiles through their paces integrating them into my iRacing profile. They are now supporting a number of other effects and the result is even more immersion. It just keeps getting better. I still need a bit more work a bit more to balance between the effects, and I need to take it all down a few notches again. It's very impressive but a bit over the top right now. I've already dropped it a few times since switching to the X4.

What kills me is that I keep thinking that what I have feels very good, and then something better comes along to make it better. I'm very curious how much further this can be taken before there is diminishing returns and I'm happy to just stay with what I have.

Every now and then my rig gets to the point where I feel like I need a completely new set of "rig shots". This one isn't going to cut it.
updatedRig_7106.jpg

Last edited:
Christmas time for the sim rig... Pulled out my f1.4 Voigtlander lens for a few shots.

christmasrig_7153.jpg

brakepedal_7149.jpg

Buckle_7164.jpg

waterbottle_7142.jpg

buttonbox_7158.jpg

and a few more traditional shots...

Whoops! Apparently I'm racing in rookies now.
rig_7118.jpg
rig_7115.jpg
rig_7113.jpg

Last edited:
I mentioned earlier that the Fractal Torrent case doesn't have a level top for me to set my headset holder that looks like a head on it. Fortunately the headset head has a 1/4" metal threads in the bottom for a solid mount.

The charger for the Index controllers will sit behind the head and the controllers will sit in front.
I'm working with a Thingaverse Index controller holder called the Boomarang II as a starting point.
ValveIndexHolder.jpg

I will have to break this into a number of pieces that bolt together so I can fit them on my 3D printer bed. I think I'll add a bit of room for neoprene so I don't scar up the case.
Indexholder.jpg

Below is the Fractal case top, the charger and the VR headset head.
VRHeadsetholder_7180.jpg

Last edited:
Rah Roh.... I just realized there is something missing from my rig!

The Valve Index PC top solution will have to wait a little longer.

Switching gears..... now!

This is purely flight related.
The F-16 and some other modern jets have a side mounted rather than center mounted flight stick.

So I just need to:
1. chop the unused end of the 40x80 at the back of my h pattern shift.
2. Make the 40x80 supporting the shift easily release and quickly reattach in the exact same spot.
3. Then make an attachment point on the side of my seat bracket to support the 40x80 with the quick release on it.

Fortunately I already had a second Magswitch and the existing 3D printed mount system from my last under seat mount. There is one issue, but it is a single bolt to swap out the 30 series slot Stick stop with the 40 series stop.

SideMountStick.jpg

Edit: I'm going to put a pin in both of these projects and spend some time using my rig.

Last edited:
Got up and finished off the design for the Valve Index Controllers, VR Head and charger. It's a stormy day, I'll start driving in a bit. I just couldn't leave this half finished.

There will be adhesive neoprene to protect the case. I added 1mm indentations for this.
It bolts together with 5mm threaded inserts and M5x20 socket head bolts.
A velcro coin in the center under the charging hub will hold it down.

Turns out the head uses an M6 bolt and I found a perfect beveled bolt for this.
I'll get my printer started after the severe thunderstorms go by. I don't have a surge on my 3D printer. I should probably fix that.

Indexholder2.jpg

Last edited:
Edit: I'm going to put a pin in both of these projects and spend some time using my rig.

Good call :) So easy, as I know, to find two or three weeks has passed and racing or flight sim never got loaded but a few changes got made on the rig :)

I am also in a bit of a phase like that modifying my flight setup. One thing I do like is the center mount stick, even though the f16 is side stick, center mount seems to work for everything.

One thing in f16 in DCS that does annoy me is the size of the mfd's in VR, they are just that much smaller and harder to read than the a10 and f18.

Fortunately I Fusion 360 doesn't take much time and I'm mostly waiting for my 3D printer for a few days.

Overall this part worked, but the back of the neck bulges a bit and was pressing on the USB hub, so I needed to move the bolt hole forward a few mm. The ring holding the USB hub in place interfered with the housings of the USB plugs going into the holes, so I moved the ring back a bit. The ring is a bit loose, so I added .5mm to the inner thickness. I also made a couple more minor aesthetic changes.

Before I reprint this part I need to print the two case bracket halves and check their fit. If they fit well, then I'll reprint this and front should fit identically.

Modifications.jpg

A few more tweaks to the mounts.
VI_Mount2.jpg
VI_mount1.jpg

Last edited:
So far so good.
It seems to fit well on the computer case and I believe it will be centered properly.
Printing the other side now.

Metal insert in.
MetalInsertIn_7192.jpg

Bolted right up.
LeftSide_7189.jpg

Neoprene padding in place.
leftside_7190.jpg

If it fits well in the morning and it should, I'll reprint the new top section and my USB hub and VR headset head will have a new home.

Last edited:
Reminds me a bit of a Klingon Warbird...

HeadsetHolder_7195.jpg

There is just a bit of compression on the neoprene. This is a snug fit that will hold the case firmly, but it can be easily pulled off the case. The new top section that centers the head better and fits the USB hub properly is printing now.
HeadsetHolder_7193.jpg

I am trying to get an hour on my rig each morning to get into a rhythm.
This morning I'm going to try out the latest 9.3 tactile profiles. Heading down now.

Finally named my output channels in SimHub.
OutputMapping.JPG

Last edited:

Latest News

What brands would you like to see with more engagement in simracing?

• Ferrari

Votes: 330 35.3%
  • Porsche

Votes: 361 38.7%
  • BMW

Votes: 342 36.6%
  • McLaren

Votes: 226 24.2%
  • Toyota

Votes: 339 36.3%
  • Intel

Votes: 120 12.8%